carrot cake cupcakes
Ever since spreesgratefulguineapig left his comment on morning glorious muffins, word has spread quickly. I might never have admitted to it if he hadn’t spilled the beans first – but I confess, it’s true, I’m married to a rodent. And today is my dear rodent’s birthday! In honor of the occasion, there will be no lab experiments today, no spree in her lab coat, no need to ask with forced cheerfulness, “so what exactly is this, honey?” Just a few of his favorites – and my grateful guinea pig loves carrot cake!
Happy Birthday, love!
And thank you, for being such
a good sport!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
(makes about 20 cupcakes)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2¼ cups finely grated, peeled carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see NOTE at bottom of recipe)
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature (this is 3/4 of a standard-size cream cheese container)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (½ stick)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (see NOTE)
Preheat the oven to 325°F.